When behind the wheel, a driver is responsible for the choices that he or she makes. Negative choices, such as driving over the speed limit, often have negative consequences. While most drivers do operate their vehicles over the posted speed limit at some point, there are times when this choice significantly increases the chance of a crash. Driving too fast often makes it difficult to drive safely, endangering every motorist on the road. Although common, speeding is a form of reckless and negligent driving.
Engineers have studied the implications of speeding, determining that it is a significant factor in many car accidents. The bottom line of this research is this — speeding makes it more likely that a serious motor vehicle collision will occur. If you are the victim of a car accident in California, speed may have played a role in what happened to you. It may be helpful to learn more about this form of reckless driving and the impact it can have on car accidents.
Research and insight into the dangers of speeding
Drivers often choose to speed because they assume it will help them arrive at their destination faster. However, the reality is that speeding doesn’t always guarantee a faster arrival. Instead, it makes it more likely that an accident will happen, and if it does, that accident will result in serious or fatal injuries. Consider the following facts about speeding and its role in car accidents:
- Speeding increases the risk for serious injuries or fatal injuries in the event of a crash.
- For every 10 miles per hour over the speed limit a driver is going, the risk of dying in a collision doubles.
- Speeding increases the chance of serious damage to personal property during a crash.
- It is harder to navigate around turns and react to hazards when speeding.
- Driving too fast can decrease the efficacy of safety equipment, such as safety belts.
- The faster a vehicle is moving, the more likely it is that the vehicle will roll over during a crash.
There is a reason that roads have posted speed limits. When a driver makes the decision to endanger himself or herself by going too fast, the implications can be serious. If speed played a role in the accident that left you injured, you will benefit from seeking guidance regarding the legal options that may be available to you. You may have grounds to pursue justice and compensation through a civil claim.